Friday, April 20, 2012

My Turn to CASE a Card

Today it's my turn again to pick a card from the March/April issue of Paper Crafts magazine for Donelda and me to CASE (copy and share everything). I picked this card for the masking technique used: 



Sometimes I need bonk-on-the-head reminders like, hey, you could mask out an area of a design and put a sentiment! Sarah Jay was nice enough to provide just such a reminder with this pretty card on p. 22 of the issue. At first I thought I'd go the flower route, too, but eventually went off in an entirely different direction. 




I stamped and embossed the sentiment first, then masked it with a row of small post-its, which were handily just the right height for the job. I then stamped and embossed first the top, then the bottom of the key and music stamp. Of course, picking an image like this, rather than smaller images, meant taking extra care in getting them lined up just right. Finally, I stamped and embossed the long music strip, matted it with the black and added it down the left side of the card. 
Since it's Friday, I'm going to add this card to Unity's Friends with Flair linky fun -- even though I did sneak one non-Unity stamp in there (shh! the music down the side). The main stamps are from the Unity kit Key to Joy, so I hope I'll be forgiven. ;)
I'm looking forward to seeing what Donelda came up with for this one! 


P.S. As you may have guessed, my computer issues are resolved. All it took was an hour with a helpful call centre representative... and a credit card. Who knew my little cat could repartition hard drives? I really do know to close my laptop when I leave it unattended, but she was fast asleep... :P


Supplies: black & Stampin' Up very vanilla cardstock, Unity Key to Joy, Local King Rubber Stamp notes, Brilliance graphite black & Versamark inks, clear & pale gold pearl embossing powders, Martha Stewart border & Marvy corner-rounder punches Pin It Now!

27 comments:

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

AMAZING! I loe the masked center for the sentiment---TOTALLY clever! LOVE the gold and black--this is my fav card! LOVE:)

Kary said...

Lindsey, this card is Amazing!! I love the embossed keys image and the sentiment. What a lovely design!! Have a lovely day & happy weekend too. {hugs}

Ruby said...

Lovely cards. I love the gold and black one. It is striking.

Emily Leiphart said...

Wow, your gold and black embossing is gorgeous! Beautiful layout, too. I love that music panel down the left side!

Becky Litz said...

what a great technique, thanks for sharing!

Jessi Fogan said...

ooooh...the music note background I ordered just arrived, and between this & yesterday's card I know I have to make time to play with it!! Love the embossing (and the masking is so clever!)

Linda said...

very pretty I love you frist card that is such a pretty Cas card.

Jocelyn Olson said...

Holy cow, Lindsey! This card is in the top 3 of my favorite cards of yours. LOVE the gold embossing and the masking. The music strip was a great addition.

Amanda G said...

Your cat barely weight enough to press a key down. :) But oh so cute!!

Donelda said...

Oh wowzers, this is so cool!! I love the gold, white and black togehter, and your keys look perfect split like this!! Nice work on the case. SEe you next Thurs. and Fri. with another set
:-)

P.S. glad your puter is all fixed!!

JPScraps said...

Awesome card! I'm going to try this technique!

Gwen said...

Awesome idea!! I predict you are going to start something here! Love your card!

Noelle Reese said...

Very nice! I love them both!!

Glenda J said...

Great CAS design! Glad your computer is back up and running!

Unknown said...

I see that sentiment and ALWAYS think (really, always) it should be followed with Ole!

Yes, say it to yourself.

and it fits.

Love your card, btw...just sayin

Jackie S said...

Awesome idea. Really need to try this myself

Chris Dring said...

Lindsey, your card is A.MAZE.ING!!! Love it!

jennifer mitten said...

This card is just gorgeous. I love the black, white, and gold together. Beautiful.

Lisa Arana said...

oh my... this is just stunning. love that gorgeous embossing. i {heart} this case!

Sandy said...

Beautifully done!! Thanks so much for your kind encouragement on my blog. I am just learning but it is so much fun!
Sandy

Eva said...

Your gold and black card is fantastic, the design is awesome with the masked center for the sentiment.

Crystal said...

Great cards, I love the look of the masked center for a sentiment!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Happy to hear your computer is okay again! Ha ha, your cat was being naughty! Unbelievable he could do that! Love your card! Gorgeous masking there for the sentiment. Yep, that surely looks great!
Hugs, Wendy

Karin said...

I love the embossing and I like your card more than the CASEd one! Fantastic! So glad you got your computer issues worked out too :)

Jen W. said...

This is gorgeous, Lindsey! I'm glad you went a different route from the flowers as this looks so cool especially in gold. And I'm impressed with how well lined up it is - I never would have managed that!

kasia c. said...

FABULOUS!! I love the themem you went with, gorgeous! That gold embossing is so pretty. :)

Sarah said...

I'm so tickled that you and Donelda CASEd that card. I went through so much cardstock getting the masking just right. I love that you used that masked sentiment idea to break up that great embossed background. The little touches of black really set it off.